Sunday, December 7, 2008

An intro and my process leading up to my start of the SCD

I am 29 years old and have had Crohn's disease since age 3. I have been on countless medicines over my course with the disease, and have endured 3 surgeries related to my Crohn's. I had a colostomy at age 10, colostomy reversal at age 12 and adhesion removal at age 16. I have been in a remissive state for a bit now following remicade a few years back. I am currently taking Imuran.

I discovered the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) through a recommendation to get the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall. I had been feeling a bit flare-y lately and wanted to see if I could do anything with my diet to help. It turns out there is alot of changing I can do to my diet to hopefully be free of symptoms, and maybe even get to a better point than my normal. I am excited to try this, but apprehensive as well because I love my carbs, milk and sugar...I totally crave all of those things so this will be a struggle for me to resist temptation.

I bought the BTVC book a couple of weeks ago thinking I'd just browse it and slowly start things, well I haven't been feeling better so I've stepped up my desire to start with this. To do this I have been reading alot online (blogs, Yahoo groups, etc.), printing myself some resources (food lists, menu ideas, etc.) and gathering as much knowledge as I can.

To start things:
I went to the grocery store today and got a few safe foods
I am looking into purchasing a food dehydrator to use as a yogurt maker too
I need to order almond flour
I need to plan my menu

It is very overwhelming right now, I am excited to cook however, I enjoy that. I'm not sure where I will find the time to do so with my two young girls "helping" so be looking for my posts about my helpers at a later point I'm sure.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Rachel,
Thanks for visting my blog at Living Free:) I really hope the SCD works for you. I am still planning on implementing as much of it as I can. Just can't do the almond meal for now and am using a couple of things that are not officially SCD legal--barleylife and stevia for example. Anyway, good luck:)